Living in New York City during my college years were some of the most exciting times of my life. I felt as if I was dropped into a giant treasure box; always action, always something new to discover, but for anyone who has traveled to or lived in New York City, you know that nothing is cheap.
I learned quickly that walking was the best option, always to take advantage of student discounts and how to truly take advantage of all the free events NYC had to offer. In today’s instant social sharing, it’s made it much easier to spot cool events like the 9th Avenue International Food Festival which Bryan and I visited this weekend. I thought today I would share my favorite websites and apps to check for deals and happenings in my area.
Here are my top 5:
- Thrillist – I subscribe to this website’s newsletter to get lists like ‘Best Pizza in NYC’. A quick way to discover cool new places in my inbox. They have a ton of top cities that you can set your search to.
- Fever App – This app creates a tailored weekly list of what’s new in my city. When you download the free app, tailor your profile to show things that would interest you (i.e. music, food or art). Most of the events also have a discounted price when you buy from the app.
- Time Out– Another worldwide guide to all things entertainment. Every Wednesday in NYC you can grab a free copy of their weekly magazine. Time Out hosts their own events in addition to letting you know about others.
- Discoverue– This site is specific to New York adventures. Their Instagram is a great source of inspiration for weekend getaways and day trips.
- Refinery 29– I follow their Instagram and read the articles on their site daily. The articles are fun and informative, and offer many travel tips for tight budgets.
- Unidays– If you are a student and you have a valid school email, you need to sign up for Unidays! This student discount site gives unique promo codes for discounts on popular websites.
Check out Time Out New York’s list of upcoming events for June here!
Any sites or apps I missed, let me know! I always love a good deal or a street fair!